Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's Potty Time!

So I'm super excited that we've decided to start potty training Penelope when we get back from California in three weeks! ...and even MORE excited to be going to California in less than two!!! It' just becoming more and more clear that she is ready for the transition. Weaning has been going very well and Penelope is showing many of the tell-tale signs that she is ready! She's been hiding to go BM and even comes and tells me, "mumma POO!" and does the sign for poop. She has also done the sign "potty" when she has wet herself. When either Alan and I go to the bathroom, Penny always comes running sqealing, "POT!" and doing the sign for potty. She even helps us get our toilet paper, flushes the toilet and reminds us to wash our hands. (I've purposely tried to leave the bathroom without washing my hands a few times and she'll grunt at me and yell, "wash! wash! ugh! ugh!" and point to the sink while doing the sign for water.)

I think Penelope will potty train relatively easy. We've tried it off and on to get her use to her potty chair since she was about 10 months old and have had a lot of luck getting her to go on the seat... just haven't actually committed to it yet.

We've known for a while now that we'd be training her soon, but just this week I realized that we need to come up with a cloth alternative to pull-ups as her current cloth diapers just would not work well.
After much research, I have found many kinds of training underwear - but pretty much all of the pull-up styles that absorb like a diaper and fit like undies are either hand made and/or just as pricey as Penelope's current diapers were... and I'm not about to spend another $300 on undies that she's only going to use for a few months.
My solution? I bought this baby!

I am going to attempt to make Penelope's bum genius diapers into pull-ups! I'll have to take the velcro off of them and use the above tool to add snaps to the sides. Below is a comparison of how Penny's diapers currently are (blue diaper) and how they will be with the snaps (green).


With the snaps, I'll be able to size the diaper a little loose, so that they can be pulled up and down easier. The velcro comes undone too easily (especially since ours are super worn out after over a years worth of use) and Penny hasn't figured out how to undo the snaps yet.

BUUUUT ... if anyone out there (hint hint Grandmas and Aunts!) is trying to come up with a good Valentines or Easter gift for Penny, the following would be wonderful :)
Both brands of training pants can be found both on Amazon.com and Nickisdiapers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment